Tuesday, November 12, 2013

There's a funny thing about the gym. It's kind of like a middle school dance. Girls on one side, boys on the other. But here it's girls doing cardio and guys in the weight room. Seeing as I need to be lifting weights, I faced an awkward social dilemma.

Yesterday, I took a walk around to accustom myself to the size of the gym and all the bells and whistles lying about when I saw the room of free weights filled with very fit men. I walked up to the room and looked in and all the men looked at me, and I looked at them, and they looked at me. After a long series of looks I slowly backed away and made my way over to the ladies fitness section.

I turned around because I felt like I was on their territory and I just hadn't earned my way in yet. I was also plain intimidated. I'm not gonna front.

Today, however, I went in.

I'd like to thank my new stripey yoga pants for making me feel like a she-warrior. But mostly it was the Crossfit girl who went in first with her knee-high pink socks.

And I loved it in there. The big fit guys are very nice and offer to help you so that you don't crush yourself by fumbling around with new machines. One guy stared very directly at my ass while I was doing dumbbell rows, but hey, let 'em look. I've got nothing to hide. The women though...they are SERIOUS. I was overcome with fear and reverence when I saw a lady hulk busting it out on the cables. If anything, it is just motivation to become as strong and beautiful as they are. It's cool. Everyone's in there to do what they need to get done and it's all efficient and respectful. I just need to remember to smile more so I can shoot the breeze with the old men when I'm a regular.

Oh, and I'm sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment